Frequent Questions

Is labeling required for radiation-emitting consumer products?

Labeling is required for electronic products that emit ionizing radiation either by design (e.g., x-ray equipment) or as a consequence of operation (e.g., old cathode ray tube televisions). No labeling is required for products that emit radiation due to decay of a radioactive element or isotope (e.g., ionization type smoke detectors). For more information, see the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) page on Labeling Requirements for Radiation Emitting Devices and Products.

Have more questions? Submit a request