Frequent Questions

What federal standards address radioactivity in food?

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) sets standards for radioactivity in food. FDA sets derived intervention levels (DILs) – concentrations of radioactivity in food – which are used to determine whether domestic food in interstate commerce or imported food presents a safety concern. FDA determines whether protective actions are necessary on a case-by-case basis.

For more information, see Radionuclides in Imported Foods - Levels of Concern on 

The EPA is responsible for regulating radioactive contaminants in drinking water. For more information, see Radionuclides Rule on

Have more questions? Submit a request